today color me:


color me today: anticipating

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Finally cathing up

I know I told you I was trying something new last month. But then I had a show in the gallery, closely followed by our annual small works show today. Whew! That being said I wanted to show you three babies I finished.

Remember, I was quilting and interpreting my landscapes... that evolved into abstract quilting with my mom's vintage fabrics... which evolved into mom's fabric hand-dyed and worked into these exquisite encaustic pieces.

EMMA, Pulled-Apart and Hand-Me-Down Dresses vintage fabric encaustic






JANE, Pulled-Apart and Hand-Me-Down Dresses vintage fabric encaustic

LILLIAN, Pulled-Apart and Hand-Me-Down Dresses vintage fabric encaustic
Encaustic is simply wax. I layered the pieces and they glow. I am really happy with this direction. I'll get back to it soon. Also, be sure to check out my small pieces HERE.

xxoo
Lori

2 comments:

  1. Lori! These strikingly lovely, but the fact that they are vintage hand-me-down-dresses from your family makes them even more fun. How cool is it that you can create such modern pieces with vintage fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you like them. I know that it is a crazy different path, but it feels right. Although at the moment I am working on a big commission piece. After the year and a half off with my mom, I feel liberated to branch out and do whatever I want. Hope you are doing well. Maybe we can paint together soon.

    ReplyDelete